jump to navigation

Molly’s Story September 6, 2008

Posted by Lindy in Uncategorized.


Molly - August 2008

Molly - August 2008





At approximately 5:00 p.m. on the afternoon of Thursday, August 14, 2008 the phone rang and I answered it. Doug, my husband was calling to tell me he was on the Salome Rd and had just found a dog. The Salome Rd. is a basically deserted 9 mile stretch of paved 2-lane ribbon in the desert with nothing at all on it – no houses, no easily available water with very little vegetation due to severe overgrazing. In fact, this area of desert has been so overgrazed there are no longer even any cattle out there. We use this road to get from the freeway to the road we need to get to our house. There is a canal that crosses the Salome Rd about 1/2 way along this stretch. The canal, heavily fenced presumably to stop people from jumping in, delivers water to the Phoenix metro area 50 miles to the east from the nearly depleted Colorado River 100 miles to the west.

 The dog: she appeared to have been abandoned, the temperature was 105 degrees and she was trying desperately to find some shade to protect herself. Doug told me she looked like a Beagle and that she was pregnant and probably very hungry as her ribs showed through her skin; she had no collar. What he did not immediately see were the burns on her body which were covered by fur; she was covered in ticks. I told him to bring her home if he could catch her. He said she was already lying on the front seat of the car.  When Doug pulled into the carport 45 minutes later I immediately opened the passenger side door and looked into the loneliest little face and widest brown eyes I had ever seen on a dog. I immediately, with no previous thought, called her Molly and it stuck. Doug said she had been asleep the entire trip home. She was friendly, obviously relieved to have been rescued, and thoroughly exhausted. We brought her in, fed her, and gave her all the water she wanted. She slept in our dog carrier that night. Our dog, Daisy, and our 2 cats were curious but for the most left her alone. Friday was difficult because I had to teach and Doug had to go to work so we made her as comfortable as possible in our shaded backyard. We have a doggy door from our house into the backyard which was left open for Daisy to use. Molly was not happy at being left all day and was very happy when we returned home. Friday evening we gave the extremely dirty Molly a bath which she seemed to truly enjoy. She learned to use the doggy door that same evening by watching Daisy and not once in the 3 weeks she has been with us has she messed in the house. Saturday morning we had an appointment to take Daisy to our vet because she had developed an eye infection Thursday morning  and we took Molly along as well. Nicki, the vet technician who had named Daisy when we had rescued her (another story entirely), scanned Molly for a microchip and found none. Our vet gave her a quick check up and a rabies shot telling us that the rabies shot is a “dead” vaccine and would not hurt the puppies but that all other vaccines would have to wait until the pups were born and no longer nursing. We took Molly home with us, told her she had a new home and we would take care of her. We gave her a bright red collar which looks great next to her jet black fur. Doug put the rabies tag on her collar and ordered an ID tag for her just like the one Daisy wears thus proclaiming Molly to belong to us. She now proudly wears both tags.

A very pregnant Molly resting peacefully in our cool house.

A very pregnant Molly resting peacefully in our cool house.





  As for the pregnancy, Molly was huge but we did not know how close she might be to giving birth. Fortunately Doug was off on Monday and she began birthing at 8:00 a.m. and by 2:00 p.m. had delivered 9 puppies – all of them as black as she is. Molly is black with a brown muzzle and brown paws. It has been two weeks since the puppies’ births and they are still in their nesting box under a little used desk in our office. There are seven pups – she lost two of them within the first 48 hours. The remaining pups appear to be healthy and happy and very well fed as they all have developed round little bellies. Molly is a good mother for such a young dog – probably not quite a year old.


Ayla checking out our newcomer.

Ayla checking out our newcomer.



Ayla, our youngest cat is most curious and cautious about our new addtion.

 The above picture was taken on Molly’s first night with us – the only night she spent sleeping in the carrier. We did this not only because we had no idea how this stranger-to-us little dog would react to our household while we were asleep but we also had no idea how our dog, Daisy, and our two cats would react to Molly.

I do want to add here that we used PetFinder, FidoFinder and PetSmart to report a Beagle mix of her description as being found but no one has ever responded to the notices. Doug and I had also gone back and driven the length of the Salome Rd. and adjacent areas looking for signs for a lost dog but found nothing. When we said that Molly had a forever home our vet officially declared her as belonging to us.

Molly and her seven puppies.

Molly and her seven puppies.

 Molly, 7 wriggling puppies. Some of her burned areas showing.

 As mentioned earlier, Molly was covered with ticks which took nearly 2 days to remove before finally getting all of them. During the removal we felt some rough spots on her back but thought they were places where the ticks had bitten her. On Wednesday morning, 2 days after the puppies’ births Doug decided to really investigate and found what he thought might be mange or some other parasite on her skin. It was difficult to see these spots because they were covered with fur. He was able to take her into the vet that same morning. What was discovered was even more horrifying. As the vet shaved the hair off around these spots it was discovered that Molly had been burned. Two of the spots were quite deep. The vet shaved around all of the burned areas, and provided us with a treatment regime for the burns which included a mild oral antibiotic twice a day so as not to harm the pups plus a topical antibiotic ointment which we applied directly to the burned areas as often as possible. Molly kept licking the ointment off but we didn’t put a collar on her because she would have been unable to care for her puppies properly with that thing around her neck not to mention that she could not get out the doggy door wearing that contraption. Some of these burns are quite deep and all of them are still healing as of this writing. Molly was also given calcium tablets to put in her food twice a day to help with her milk for the puppies.

 As much as both Doug and I love dogs Beagles are a breed we knew next to nothing about. We are learning! Molly is extremely curious and into everything. She is a bit pushy but not in an obnoxious way – she simply knows what she wants or she is trying to learn about her new family and is not shy about getting her way. She is bright, learns quickly, and fortunately continues to get along with everyone in the household. The cats are beginning to trust that she will not chase them nor try to harm them in any way and Daisy, being the tolerant dog she is, has accepted Molly into her world. 

Daisy and Molly
Daisy and Molly

Daisy and Molly – August 2008

 What to do with seven pups? The world is full of unwanted kittens and puppies. Thank goodness for rescue organizations. Doug picked up a business card in our vet’s office from an organization called BARC (Beagles of Arizona Rescue Club). We have been in contact with them and they agree that Molly is most definitely a Beagle mix and they will take the pups when they are 8 weeks old. They maintain foster homes and a very stringent adoption policy which requires all adopted dogs to be spayed or neutered plus have all their shots. Molly will be spayed and will be given the rest of her shots as soon as the pups are gone.

Today is Labor Day, September 1, 2008. The puppies are 2 weeks old today. They are fat and sassy and beyond adorable although their eyes are still not open. They have begun trying to walk on all fours rather than dragging themselves around on their fat little bellies. Pictures are difficult as they never stop wriggling except when they are asleep and when they are asleep they are usually in one big pile.

Molly fits into our household perfectly and we love her dearly. We are working to train her to the normal everyday commands such as “come”, “sit”, “stay”, and “no”. She is learning very quickly – the only one she has trouble with is “stay”. As time goes by we will add a few more commands. It does help to have a slightly older and already trained dog in the house. Daisy is a wonderful 3 year old and is doing a great job showing Molly how to behave properly.

 Daisy is another rescue story and one that I will publish here in the near future.

 There will be more on Molly and her pups also in the near future. I’m anxious to be able to get some good pictures of the pups and will download them as soon as I do.

 Namaste, Lindy


PS –  It is now well past Labor Day (09-06-08) and I have no idea why I am unable to get this post to save properly. I am about to switch to Typepad as my blogging host as this is most frustrating and happens nearly every time I try to write a post of late.


Puppies eyes are open and they are trying to walk. More story and pics. ASAP.




1. Poochieheaven - September 7, 2008

Congrats on everything you did for Molly. She (and her puppies) were very lucky to find you! They always say that stray dogs come into your life for a reason. May she one day show that reason.

2. turtlewoman - September 20, 2008

Hi Poochieheaven, thank you for the comment. Molly and the pups have brought us so much joy already. Molly has a forever home with loving parents (us:). The pups will be adopted through BARC and their stringent adoption policy so we know the pups will be OK.

3. Trish - November 3, 2008

Oh my goodness! I’m from the West Michigan Ravelry group (and yes i like to read the blogs of all new members to get to know them a little bit. How fortunate that Molly found a home in time to birth those babies. I would take one in a hot second! Good thing you’re not close or I’d be bugging you!

4. turtlewoman - November 16, 2008

Hi Trish – All 4 girls have been adopted. that leaves the little boys. I am trying to find time to write the story about “Molly’s Puppies” complete with pics. but while we were caring for all those pups + I teach full time there was no time to do anything else. The pups are gone now – the boys are with a Beagle foster family – so I’m hoping to find a bit more time.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: